Friday, October 29, 2010

Film/ Roots: The Bicycle Thieves

Recently, I had the pleasure of watching "The Bicycle Thieves" in my film class. It's an Italian movie, filmed in 1948 during Italy's post-war economic depression. The film and the plot reflect the terrible poverty and desperate situation many working class Italians experienced at the time. I couldn't find a good english trailer on youtube, so this is just one of my favorite scenes from the film.

"The Bicycle Thieves" made me reflect on my connection to my Italian heritage. It's very important for me to be connected with the culture and heritage of my ancestors. The struggle and sacrifice of my family's past is what has made me.
If I don't have respect for my roots, do I have respect for myself?

My Mayan/Mexican heritage has always been questioned and doubted because of the color of my skin, leading me to put more time investigating this part of me. At the same time, I really haven't explored my roots in Italy and Ireland.

¡Ya basta!

I'm tired. I think I'll go get a cappuccino, sit back, and read some James Joyce.

No comments:

Post a Comment