Veterans day was Thursday, November 11th. Honestly, I didn't do anything to commemorate the day, I forgot about it, which I regret. I wished I'd lit a candle, taken a moment of silence, done something to commemorate the sacrifice of our troops. To me, veterans day is not about politics or patriotism, but simply acknowledging the sacrifice soldiers make. The sacrifice of their lives, their humanity, their youth in war. What really cuts me up is that it's so easy for me to forget about this. I get to talk about avant garde films and celebrate Thirsty Thursday at the most expensive liberal arts school in the country while kids my age are fighting and dying needlessly over in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I ask that you take a moment to ponder the sacrifice our veterans have made. Maybe this song will help. It's Joe Strummer's version of "The Minstrel Boy," a song written by Thomas Moore in remembrance of his friends killed in the 1798 Irish Uprising.
No comments:
Post a Comment