I love pizza and pizzerias, which is why I loathe Domino's. I'd rather order from a neighborhood pizzeria like Pizza Pizza in Mount Vernon. At a neighborhood store, you can actually get to know the people making the pizza and there's a lot of local character too. When I'm buying from a local store, I know my money is going back into the community and not into the greedy hands of some suit like Domino's founder Tom Monaghan. Mr. Monaghan is famous for supporting right wing fundamentalist Catholic groups, which have an anti reproductive and gay rights agenda. With Domino's, it's the same shitty pizza as everywhere else. Like many other big chains, the workers get treated miserably. It also disgusts me how, in their advertising, they perpetuate the myth that farm work is done by one kindly white man, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23sgF4Bl7c
It gets on my nerves when my friends order from Domino's. We go to school in New York for fuck's sake, there's a pizzeria every block.I also expect more from people at Sarah Lawrence because I thought this was supposed to be a progressive liberal arts school.
So if Domino's is the only place to order pizza when it's 2am on a friday night, I don't order. In a time when our money is basically our mouth, it's important to think about what our business is really supporting. I can eat something else that night, my principles are more important than pizza.
No comments:
Post a Comment